EA Targeted by Anti-Gay Letter Campaign

EA games respond to letter writing campaign complaining about the inclusion of gay and lesbian characters in recent games.

Recently, some EA titles have had the option for characters to engage in same sex relationships, this option was not forced on players they could also choose a member of the opposite sex as a partner.  The latest games to offer this choice are Mass Effect 3 and Star Wars: The Old Republic, but EA have been giving players this freedom for years with games like The Sims.  However, EA have received thousands of letters complaining and even saying that they will boycott EA games if this option is featured in future games.

Luckily, EA have responded by saying that they will not be changing their policy on the matter and have denied claims made by the letter writers that they were pressured into including gay and lesbian characters by ‘extremists’.  A lot of the letters came from a group in Florida called the Florida Family Association.  It was this group that recently voiced an action against Star Wars: The Old Republic.  EA will continue to include gay and lesbian characters and say that the campaign ‘isn’t about protecting children, it’s about political harassment’.

It wasn’t too long ago when being gay was considered a crime.  Thankfully we’ve come a long way, but we still have yet to reach equality.  One thing I’ve never understood is why children still need to be protected from characters that are gay.  It would be extremely hard for a person to live their entire life without ever meeting a gay man or woman, so why not teach kids about it while their minds are still open enough to take it in.  Not only are gay characters not included in children’s programming, they are actually removed from shows that come from other, non-English speaking, countries.  Through changing dialog in dubbing and editing, or even taking out, scenes the character’s storyline is no longer present.  With more and more gay characters being introduced in day time dramas it’s hard to believe that kids won’t see at least one representation of homosexuality on TV, so why is it still taboo for child oriented shows?  There are some shows that are aimed at children and have characters that it implies are gay, yet it is never officially clarified.

I’m glad to hear that EA stood by their policies and weren’t intimidated by the campaign against them.  Hopefully, by doing so they will send a message to the people behind the letters and maybe some of them will change their minds on the issue.  Most probably won’t, but many some will.

What do you think?  Would you prefer if EA didn’t feature gay and lesbian characters?  Do you think that the letter writers were wrong to take the action in the first place?  How do you feel about the whole issue?  Let me know by voting and leaving a comment in the section below.  Also, don’t forget to follow and click the like button, if you enjoyed this post.

1. Reblogged this on Sensi Boutique and commented:
    I’ve played mass effect 3 and was very surprised that it did have gay and lesbian relationships. I think it great and it’s a sign of the times changing

April 6, 2012 at 12:52 am

• Yeah definately. I wasn’t expecting same sex couples to be an option, but I’m glad that they were. I think it really shows progress and the fact that EA stuck to their guns and called the campaign ‘political harassment’ fills me with so much respect for them.

April 6, 2012 at 2:28 pm

2. Stripper X

Reblogged this on The Southern Strip and commented:
    No one seems to have an issue with Stripper characters. In fact, as an avid fan of The Sims, I believe that exotic dancing should be an employment option. What do you think?

April 6, 2012 at 3:36 am

• I’d love to see what parents would have to say about that, then again I’ve never heard any complaints about the nude model job or the groupie career track in Sims Bustin’ Out. Maybe it is time to add a few more interesting jobs to The Sims games, which have always been more open than other games when it comes to topics like sexuality anyway.

April 6, 2012 at 2:24 pm

• I’ve been a fan of The Sims for years and they would be the ultimate platform to test this theory of people’s reaction to an exotic career track. I know I’d get a kick out of it…

April 6, 2012 at 9:14 pm

• Give it time I’m sure one of the game developers will think of it. I seriously doubt fans of the series, being one myself, would have a problem with it. If anyone it would be parenting groups, but I guess they don’t really notice the games because there are plenty of things in The Sims games that they could complain about if they wanted to.

April 12, 2012 at 3:36 pm

3. delpercente

Reblogged this on From the mind of Del… and commented:
    Although I don’t presently play any games, I think that it is important to have gay and lesbian characters within these games. It is in my opinion that by doing so, it will strengthen the minds of the individuals who play and will show and will them that all people are equal regardless of their sexual preference.

April 6, 2012 at 6:30 pm

• Well said and I completely agree.

April 12, 2012 at 3:33 pm

• delpercente

thanks you so very much!

April 15, 2012 at 2:25 am

i think these flordia family crowd are very close minded people and its very frustrating that they cant grow up and recognize that its the 21st centuary and times are changing. im glad EA are standing their ground and showing that they arent intimidated by people who dont get their way.

April 8, 2012 at 7:11 pm

5. Todd Iver Klevgaard

I don’t agree with allowing gays & lesbians in video games! It’s not right!!!

May 5, 2012 at 1:44 am

• Due to the language I didn’t approve your other comment, but I approved this one because I think it’s important that everyone, even the people I don’t agree with, get their opinions heard. Why is it that you don’t want gay and lesbian characters in games? Is it just in games or do you have a problem with gay and lesbian people in general?

May 6, 2012 at 9:37 pm