Final Destination 5

The other day I mentioned Final Destination 5, I didn’t give many details so I thought I’d expand on that today.  Also just a quick note tomorrow is my six month anniversary of blogging every single day.  Be sure to check out the celebratory post.

Isn’t it strange how a series about not being able to escape death has managed to escape death for so long?  Final Destination is one of my favourite film franchises and I got what people meant when they criticised the acting, that is until I saw The Final Destination (Final Destination 4).  The 3D was great, but the rest of it didn’t exactly inspire confidence in the future of the saga.  Yet here it is a fifth instalment of, what is now, the most hypocritical film series ever.

The plot is the same as usual; someone has a vision of a disaster, and then saves themselves and some expendable extras.  This time the disaster is a bridge collapsing, which so does not beat the rollercoaster in number 3.  Sam Lawton, played by Nicholas D’Agosto, is the lucky character that has a random premonition.

It’s never exactly been revealed why they get visions, though it two possibilities have been hinted at.  One possibility is that a rival force is trying to help people by given them the visions.  The other theory is that death has sent the premonitions as a way to guide them into his plans; this means they never avoided death in the first place.  One major whole in the second option is that, if it were true, the second movie would make no sense as death goes backwards through the list to seal up the rift made by the survivors of the first one.

William Bludworth, played by Tony Todd, will finally be making another appearance, having not been seen since Final Destination 2.  His character is the, seemingly, all knowing mortician who once told the characters how to save themselves once and for all.  They failed.  So far there are no survivors.  Clear Rivers got pretty far, managing to last almost two movies, but she was ultimately killed proving that blonds can screw up simple tasks like opening doors.

The movie is expected to hit cinemas on the 26th of August.  Like its predecessor it will be in 3D.  I wonder if Final Destination will ever actually reach its final destination, if sales go well they intend to make Final Destination six and seven.  These would be films back to back, which hints that there would be some relevant continuity between them.   Let’s hope that they find some way to spice up the fleeting franchise before the completely run it into the ground.

Do you think they should stop making these films?  Are you excited for this to be released?  Let me know by voting and leaving a comment below.

I really didn’t like final destination 4 d acting was so bad… Hopefully number 5 can bring back the seris from it’s ashes… It sounds good bu ur rite a bridge collapsing doesn’t beat the rolleroaster deaths !!!!

March 21, 2011 at 10:49 pm

• You’re one of the only people I know that wasn’t messmerized by the 3D, even I was, but you just didn’t like the movie.

March 26, 2011 at 2:35 pm

2. Ismael

Yes they should defininantly keep the franchise going and I’m so excited for this one wooow!!!

March 29, 2011 at 9:50 pm

• I’m not sure, I love the franchise and I’ll definately be going to see this movie, but I didn’t really like number four, when I saw it without the 3D that is :).

March 30, 2011 at 1:33 am

3. Twinny

There have been survivors- Kimberly and Thomas survived in the 2nd film

April 9, 2011 at 7:08 pm

• Nope, unfortunately death got them too. At the end of Final Destination 3 there is a newspaper that falls to the ground in the subway station saying that they died in a freak accident. On the DVD you can read the entire article that explains that they ran into each other, after not seeing one another in years, then they fell into a woodchipper. Sounds like one of the more painful ways characters in the series have gone and it would have been good if they survived because they could have brought them back, but unforunately they did die. Thanks for the comment, hope you enjoy the blog.

April 9, 2011 at 9:01 pm

4. They never need to stop, its one of those series that just cant end.. kinda like friday the 13th

April 13, 2011 at 9:54 pm

• That’s actually a really good comparison. It actually was my favourite film series until I watched number 4 (The Final Destination) without the 3D. If they manage to make the next one really good I’ll go back to supporting them, but they need to get better actors than the ones in 4 they were terrible.
      Thanks for your comment, I love reading what other people think.

April 14, 2011 at 9:01 am

5. Hannah Brown

Yeah I really don’t understand why they’re continuing with these films. I mean the last one was called ‘The Final Destination’ so why would they decide to make a fifth. I mean in my opinion I think they just should of left it at one film coz there’s no point in the others coz u no before watching it exactly what’s gonna happen coz its excactly the same plot.

April 15, 2011 at 10:04 pm

• The reason they decided to keep going was because the amount of money number 4 made. Hollywood can’t tell the difference between making money and making a good film. Some of the best films out there didn’t make it big in the box office. To be fair to the franchise, number two did continue on with a plot that fits in with the first one and number three introduced the camera thing which was fun and added something to the film. Then came the fourth, which should never have been made and hear comes a fifth that will probably be worse.
      Thanks so much for your comment.

April 16, 2011 at 10:38 am

6. Diablo350

I honestly think that they have fallen so far from the first one. The first one was dark and the characters were all well known, be it from series on TV or movies. They just took their time with it and it worked so well. Remember the trailor, watching an audience’s reactions to the movie… Been copied ever since. The only part of the movies I look forward to now are the beginning premonitions and accident that starts it all.

Surely the franchise could have enough cash to fork out for a known leading actor or actress? Even Saw had Danny Glover and Cary Elwes and Donnie Wahlberg. Since the first movie I have only known AJ Cook.
    It just rips me up when I saw number 4. Unknown actors, no plot or climax and low budget. Typical hollywood to use a clever title and throw in 3D to make as much money as possible off the cheapest budget.

I see they are now calling the new one 5nal Destination, and once again no real well known actors… They should hook up with Paranormal Activity (making number 3) and Saw(making number 8) and see who can make the most horrors in a franchise. What the hell….

April 16, 2011 at 5:42 am

• Surprisingly the budgets have gone up as the films went on. The budget of the 4th was almost double that of the first (they must have spent most of it on the 3D). I loved the first 3, but the first one has a much darker tone, which is a good thing for a horror. Even though they weren’t as dark, the second too weren’t bright and happy, but the 4th was even shot with brighter filters on the lense it was so stupid. I’ll admit that at first I was fooled by the 3D, but once I’d seen it in 2D I was like ‘why did I like this’.
      I usually like it when unknown actors are cast, but when they can’t act what’s the point? Having said that I think the ones in 2 and 3 did a pretty good job, especially Mary Elizabeth Winstead, but the ones in 4, even though I knew Nick Zano from TV, were just the driest untalented bunch of actors they could have found. It’s strange that thousands of people audiention and that’s the best they can find. Apparently in they get to make a 6th they have some plan to revitalise the series but why wait if they have a plan they should do it now because I’m hoping they don’t get to 6 unless 5 really is great, which I doubt.
      Thank you for the comment.

April 16, 2011 at 10:51 am