The fighter is a biographical movie based on the career and life of boxer Micky ward. The film stars Mark Wahlberg, Christian Bale and Amy Adams. Wahlberg has been trying to get this movie made since 2005, partially because he really wants an Oscar. Better luck next time Wahlberg, as he failed to get nominated for best actor, but the movie may still win best picture and director David O. Russell is also up for an Oscar.
The movie gives a detailed look at Ward’s early career. It also focuses on his brother, who trained him, getting addicted to cocaine. Bale’s performance as Ward’s sibling, Dicky Eklund, is rumoured to have stole the show as his character faces the more difficult storylines. These rumours appear to be true as Bale did get nominated for an Oscar, best supporting actor, also Amy Adams and Melissa Leo, from The Fighter, have both been nominated for best supporting actress, so it’s pretty much just Wahlberg that didn’t get a nomination. Anyone else starting to feel sorry for Mark Wahlberg?
The movie hits Irish and UK cinemas this Wednesday, the 2nd of February, so be sure to check it out.
Do you think Mark Wahlberg should get a pity Oscar? Have you seen this film? If so, did you like it?
While doing research on 100th posts I uncovered something that I wasn’t expecting. Apparently for your 100th post you are supposed to write 100 things about yourself. Since I write a post every day, I had to think of these all in one sitting and it took a while, but here it goes.
- I like to wear t-shirts that say things that are the opposite of me e.g. football on the brain.
- I take hours to eat, because I’m big into really tasting things.
- I mix a lot of foods together, for the same reason as above I like tastes, this means I’ll put chips on pizza, dip mars bars in tea, and millions of other things that could take up a whole post.
- I hate ads on TV I’ll do anything to avoid them. I’ll change the channel or even leave the room, not just randomly I’d have something planned to do on the ad break; like next ad I’ll go put my phone on charge or let the dogs out.
- I have two dogs.
- I have a brother.
- I have a nephew, who is also my godson.
- I’m really bad with kids and babies, but my nephew likes me for some reason.
- I’ve never changed a nappy and hope to go a lot longer before I ever have to.
10. I play the piano. I thought myself when I was a kid.
11. I love horror movies. I used to be so afraid of them, but now I can’t get enough.
12. I love foreign films, mainly, but not exclusively, Japanese.
13. I don’t think that the number 13 is unlucky.
14. I would love to write a book.
15. I’ve been writing since I was a kid.
16. I’m really bad at lying.
17. I’ve had the same e-mail address since I was 17.
18. I read really slowly, but I don’t always see that as a bad thing, because I get to live with the story longer.
19. I’m not good at social networks sites.
20. I’m a hoarder. I’m not really bad, but I don’t like getting rid of things.
21. I’m a really bad dancer.
22. I’m not very emotional.
23. I go on strange thought patterns, which lead to conversation skips that people can’t follow.
24. I don’t eat fish. I don’t even know what most fish taste like, I just don’t eat them because there fish.
25. I’m put myself out for people, probably too much.
26. When a family member asks for a favour I say no, then I do it. It’s like an ongoing joke that has gone so far past funny that it’s just become a normal part of conversation, it was funny the first time I said it.
27. I love learning about all the behind the scenes stuff, so I love watching deleted scenes and special features.
28. I’m a fountain of useless information.
29. I’m easily excited and when that happens my voice goes weird, it’s like I lose the ability to say some letters.
30. I’m not afraid to talk to people.
31. Sugar free jellies make me hyper.
32. Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day, but only on days that I don’t have to rush it.
33. I can’t eat breakfast first thing in the morning, if I don’t have to be in college I’ll wait until around 12 to eat it, by then I’d already have walked my dogs.
34. I have the biggest bedroom, because my mam can’t sleep at the front of the house due to the noise of cars and my brother, who I used to share a room with, was told that if he wanted his own room he’d have to move into the spare room he couldn’t kick me out of the room.
35. I can solve a Rubik’s cube in less than 3 minutes.
36. I have a whiteboard in my bedroom.
37. I have two guitars that I can’t play.
38. As a child I had white hair, then it went blond and now it’s a weird dark blond colour.
39. I have a PS3.
40. I recently got a HD cable for my TV.
41. I have a wolf mask on my wall that is lucky, but only when worn as a hat.
42. I strongly believe that you can only open one packet of biscuits at a time, even if you want a different type.
43. I don’t care about the inner details of celebrities lives.
44. I’m a huge lost fan.
45. I still haven’t stuck my communion photo into my primary school graduation book. I promised that I’d stick it in when I got home from school, because I’d forgot to bring the picture in, then we didn’t have clue so I just put the picture in the book, not glued, and I haven’t gotten around to gluing it yet and that was in 2004.
46. I’m dyslexic.
47. In primary school I wrote a book, with some other dyslexic friends, about my dog and it got put in the school library, we even had a book launch.
48. I have Ulysses, but not think I’ll be trying to read it anytime soon.
49. I have a book that I’ve been planning on finishing reading since 2004, I think I’ll have to start from the start if I want it to make sense.
50. I don’t like drinks with bits in them.
51. I like Sims games (console versions mostly), but mainly for the multiplayer mode so I’m a bit iffy with Sims 3.
52. I’ve known my best friend for about 14 years and the longest real fight we’ve ever had was about two days.
53. I love family guy and American dad, but not the Cleveland show; I’d still watch it if nothing else was on though.
54. I send a lot of text messages.
55. Every year I seem to get a stalker, it’s not real psycho stalking or anything, but it’s strange. Also every year I lose a stalker, because another one talks their place and they seem to fade into the background.
56. I don’t like being wrong.
57. I don’t curse a lot.
58. My relatives used to be afraid to curse around me because I’d give out to them.
59. I’m a bit of a control freak.
60. My room is wired weird. If I want better TV reception I have to put a pillow behind the headboard, if I move from one seat to the other the radio station sometimes changes, if I stand in certain places the radio gets fuzzy and one of my sockets only works in you leave the plug hanging out a bit and push up the bottom.
61. I have a table that I made out of a drawing board and a keyboard stand.
62. My brother and I rarely get along.
63. I don’t drink.
64. I love drawing and just art in general.
65. I don’t have any tattoos.
66. I love cold weather, rain and snow.
67. I tan really easy and have only really gotten sun burn once, in Florida.
68. When I was a kid I won an art contest, which I entered through my school, and forgot to tell my family. A few weeks later my mam found the gold medal in my bag.
69. My team came second in a school football tournament, that everyone had to take part in, and I turned down the medal out of protest because my team complained that they would have won if they had a better player instead of me. I was made take the medal though.
70. I have a house in France.
71. I don’t really watch TV till midnight.
72. I don’t sleep a lot, never have. I stay up until about 3 and wake up at around half 7 on a day I have college at 9, or at 9 on a weekend. There weren’t enough hours in the day so I took some from the night.
73. I hate reality TV, with some exceptions.
74. I’m bad at maths.
75. I’m a learner driver.
76. I own a Toyota Yaris, which I love.
77. I went to New York the year before last and loved it. Can’t wait to go again.
78. I’ve never had a good time playing Quasar.
79. I’m very competitive.
80. I don’t drink fizzy drinks, I have water instead.
81. I love milk.
82. I hate getting my photo taken.
83. I still have a VCR.
84. I love languages and accents.
85. I put a lot of thought into giving presents that people will actually want, for example; I once gave a friend a Canadian accent for Christmas and another time I made someone a giant card with a picture of them drawn on the front (I had to walk a fair distance and wait around holding this card in a really big envelope).
86. My secondary school gave me a piano.
87. I’m studying journalism.
88. I’m editor of my college’s online magazine.
89. I hate getting my hair cut.
90. Sometimes I like movies just because they’re bad.
91. I want to travel around the world.
92. I love playing with Photoshop.
93. I’m a big fan of Devil May Cry, even number two.
94. I like to rearrange the letter of names to make new ones.
95. I once wore odd shoes around to my friend’s house without realising it.
96. I’m supposed to wear glasses, but rarely actually do.
97. I have random nosebleeds.
98. I’m not a morning person.
99. I bake.
100. My favourite flavour ice-cream is Phish food (Ben and Jerry’s).
Thanks to everyone for reading, hope you like the list and I hope that you enjoy the blog. Check back tomorrow for post 101.
A while ago I read an interview with Sara Ramírez, in the interview she mentioned that the writers wanted to do a musical episode of Grey’s Anatomy, mainly because Remírez has such a powerful singing voice. Since then rumours have popped up about a possible music episode, but nothing came of it. Until now that is.
It has been confirmed that a musical episode, of the awarding winning series, is in production and actors have already begun recording their songs, let’s just hope they don’t realise an album. I may live to regret that last part, as apparently a few of the other cast members can hold a tune.
Grey’s Anatomy is known for, among other things, the music that is featured on the show and it will be some of those songs that will be used during the musical. This will include songs by The Fray and Snow Patrol. Even though the cast will be singing, fans have been reassured that characters will not be dancing down the hall. It will still be Grey’s Anatomy; it’ll just cut out some of the depressing talking and add in some depressing songs.
The episode will be told from Callie’s, Sara Ramírez, point of view and will see the return of Addison, Kate Walsh. The reason for Walsh’s return has been revealed, but out of respect for non-American readers I must warn that the next line will contain spoilers.
Addison will be returning to help Callie with her pregnancy and the baby could be Mark’s.
What do you think about Grey’s Anatomy doing a musical episode? Let me know by voting and commenting below.
Don’t worry it’s not another remake of Psycho, it’s actually a movie about the making of Psycho. Antony Hopkins will star as Alfred Hitchcock and Sacha Gervasi is the director. The movie is based on the book ‘Alfred Hitchcock and the Making of Psycho’. The book contains interviews with cast and crew members and uses information gathered from Hitchcock’s records. The book is non-fiction which is why it’s difficult to know how the film will turn out.
Gervasi is best known for his documentary film Anvil! The Story of Anvil, so it could easily be assumed that this movie will also be a documentary. However, there is a problem with this theory; if it were a documentary then actors would not be cast to play the people. Maybe it’ll be a mockumentary.
The story follows Hitchcock; who decides to make a low budget horror movie, despite the fact that he had an established career. This isn’t the first time someone tried to adapt the book for film. Ryan Murphy, the creator of Glee, was, at one stage, going to direct a film version of the book. A miniseries was also on the cards once.
It looks like this time the movie will actually be made and I hope it is, because, in a world full of remakes, it would be nice to see a follow-up movie that adds to the original. On another hand, I know for a fact that there are people, not me, who can’t stand things like this, when a movie’s over it’s over and that’s the end of it. For people like me, who religiously watch the DVD extras, this will be a good thing.
What do you think? Let me know by voting and leaving a comment below.
True Grit was originally a book by Charles Portis. In 1969, a year after the books release, a movie adaptation was made, this movie starred John Wayne as, a character with true grit, Reuben (Rooster) Cogburn. John Wayne won a Golden Globe and an Academy Award (Oscar) for his performance; this was the only time, in his entire career, that Wayne got an Oscar. Although the book was a standalone story, the movie had two sequels. The first, of these sequels, also starred John Wayne and followed the same basic story as its predecessor. The second, on the other hand, starred Warren Oates; this sequel was made-for-TV, which shows the decline in popularity from the first, which did so well, and its sequels.
The 2010 version is not just a simple remake. It’s the reopening of a genre of movie that hasn’t really been explored in film lately; hopefully it will be more successful than when Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino brought back Grindhouse. Even if you’re not a fan of westerns, it’ll be interesting to see how modern technology affects the genre.
The movie is about a fourteen year old girl called Mattie, who hires Cogburn, an aging US marshal, to help catch Tom Chaney, the man that killed her father. Mattie is determined to go along on the search, even though Cogburn tries to stop her. A Texas Ranger called La Boeuf, is also looking for Chaney and goes along with Mattie and Cogburn, against Mattie’s will.
This version is closer to the book than the first one. The book is narrated by Mattie, as an old woman who is retelling the events of how she avenged her father’s death. The new movie is also narrated by an older Mattie, but this was left out of the original movie, possibly to leave it open for sequels.
The new True Grit, and its cast, has already been nominated for many awards, including the Oscar for best actor (Jeff Bridges is nominated). Winning awards isn’t anything new for the cast, Matt Damon and Jeff Bridges play La Boeuf and Cogburn respectively, both of which already have an Oscar. The movie is already been released in the US, but it doesn’t come out in Ireland until the 11th of February, the day after it opens for the 61st Berlin International Film Festival.
What do you think of this movie? Do you think this is the return of westerns? If so, do you think it’s a good think? Let me know by voting and leaving a comment below.
Although it is a known fact that actors love to get their egos stroked by winning awards, there is one award that actors prey they do not win, a RAZZIE. The RAZZIE awards include categories like; Worst Picture, Worst Actor, Worst Actress, Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-off or Sequel and, a newly introduced award, Worst Eye-Gouging Mis-Use of 3-D.
This year’s nominees have been announced and are as follows:
The Bounty Hunter
The Last Airbender
Sex and the City 2
The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
Jack Black – Gulliver’s Travels
Gerard Butler – The Bounty Hunter
Ashton Kutcher – Killers and Valentine’s Day
Taylor Lautner – The Twilight Saga: Eclipse and Valentine’s Day
Robert Pattinson – Remember Me and The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
Jennifer Aniston – The Bounty Hunter and The Switch
Miley Cyrus – The Last Song
The Four Gal Pals – Sex and the City 2 (Sarah Jessica Parker, Kim Cattrall, Kristin Davis & Cynthia Nixon)
Megan Fox – Jonah Hex
Kristen Stewart – The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
Worst Supporting Actor:
Billy Ray Cyrus – The Spy Next Door
George Lopez – Marmaduke, The Spy Next Door and Valentine’s Day
Dev Patel – The Last Airbender
Jackson Rathbone – The Last Airbender and The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
Rob Schneider – Grown Ups
Worst Supporting Actress:
Jessica Alba – The Killer Inside Me, Little Fockers, Machete and Valentine’s Day
Cher – Burlesque
Liza Minnelli – Sex and the City 2
Nicola Peltz – The Last Airbender
Barbra Streisand – Little Fockers
Worst Eye-Gouging Mis-Use of 3-D (special category for 2010):
Cats & Dogs 2: Revenge of Kitty Galore
Clash of the Titans
The Last Airbender
Worst Screen Couple / Worst Screen Ensemble
Jennifer Aniston & Gerard Butler – The Bounty Hunter
Josh Brolin’s Face & Megan Fox’s Accent – Jonah Hex
The Entire Cast of The Last Airbender
The Entire Cast of SEX AND THE CITY 2
The Entire Cast of The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
Jason Friedberg & Aaron Seltzer – Vampires Suck
Michael Patrick King – SEX AND THE CITY 2
M. Night Shyamalan – The Last Airbender
David Slade – The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
Sylvester Stallone – The Expendables
The Last Airbender – Written by M. Night Shyamalan, based on the TV series created by Michael Dante Dimartino and Brian Konietzko
Little Fockers – Written by John Hamburg and Larry Stuckey, based on characters created by Greg Glenna & Mary Roth Clarke
Sex and the City 2 – Written by Michael Patrick King, based on the TV series created by Darren Star
The Twilight Saga: Eclipse – Screenplay by Melissa Rosenberg, based on the novel by Stephenie Meyer
Vampires Suck – Written by Jason Friedberg & Aaron Seltzer
Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-Off or Sequel:
Clash of the Titans
The Last Airbender
Sex and the City 2
The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
Who do you think should win? Let me know by leaving a comment below.
The new season of Starz hit show Spartacus: Blood and Sand will begin shooting in Spring, but as we all know Andy Whitfield (pronounced WIT-Field, for the record) will not be returning as he has began treatment for his cancer. As they say the show must go on, unfortunately it may be going on with less fans as conversation on forums indicates that Whitfield is the only Spartacus in the eyes of fans and even though he gave his blessing fans seem to want to wait for his recovery. Anyone in the TV industry knows that the longer you wait the less likely a series is to be picked up by a network, so it really is now or never.
Starz have been very sensitive about the situation, but they recently announced that they were recasting the role. Now a few weeks have past and they’ve released the name of the new Spartacus, Liam McIntyre. The Australian actor had a late start in the acting business, getting his first credit in 2007 at the age of 25. He has some big shoes to fill and he better be prepared for a lot of backlash if he doesn’t deliver. Then again fans will probably insist on hating either way, at least for a while it’s just what we do.
What do you think of Andy being replaced?
Beyoncé is about to walk in the footsteps of Janet Gaynor, Judy Garland and Barbara Streisand by playing the lead role in an upcoming version of A Star is Born. Although there have been many versions of the movie, the basic story has remained the same. A washed up actor falls in love with an up and coming star and helps her make it in the business. However, this version will be taking place in the music industry.
The male lead has yet to be cast. At first it was rumoured that Will Smith would play the part, but P. Diddy, Robert Downey jr. and even Eddie Murphy have all be linked to the project. Clint Eastwood will be directing the film, so there’s going to be a lot of ‘are you talking to me?’ on set, at least there will be in my head.
Who do you think should get cast? Do you agree with this movie being remade for the third time? Let me know by voting and leaving a comment below.