Books vs Movies/TV shows

Harry Potter, Twilight, True Blood, Percy Jackson and many others, all started as books.  A long before the cinema goer cared what happened to Bella Swan she was ink on a page, ink that captivated readers, and Harry Potter originally fought the Dark Lord in the imaginations of readers.

As a fan of books, movies and TV shows, it’s hard for me to say which is better.  When it comes to judging between movies and shows that started as books it’s sometimes better just to take them as entirely different entity’s that just share some names and maybe a title, because a lot of the time so much of the story has changed that there is hardly a resemblance.

By listening to people talk about this, I’ve learned that a fool will always say the book is better (even if they haven’t seen it).  No offence intended, sometimes the book is better but it’s not always.  I like the True Blood TV series better than the books.  I may change my mind but at the moment that’s how I feel, Harry Potter books will always be better than the movies, Twilight movies aren’t good but the books are, and I’ve never read Percy Jackson but I love the movie.

One downside to books is that they take so long to read (for me at least).  A movie goes on for a set amount of time and if you sit there facing the screen for that long then you’re done.  On the other hand, movies are limited in a way the books are not, special effects can only do so much.  Another thing I like about books is the thought that a character has a million faces; everyone pictures them just a little bit differently.

I’m not trying to make an overall judgement, but I want to know which you prefer.  Everyone has a preference.  Do you curl up with a book, or relax with a movie/TV show.

I prefer books…. Dey r way better n give more detail

November 19, 2010 at 10:31 pm

• Yeah I do like more detail. You got a point there

November 22, 2010 at 5:34 pm

2. Robbie

I’m one of those who will almost always say the book is better than the film.

The book (in the vast majority of cases) comes first, and the author deserves the most credit for his/her original story rather than some Hollywood director who takes it and adapts someone else’ story, condensing it to 2 hours of footage.

I’m sure there are plenty of cases where the film is better than the book, but I think generally books tend to be better.

November 23, 2010 at 6:29 pm

• I do get were your coming from but I can think of 2 really good reasons for movies to be better. Firstly books do give a lot of detail, which is great, but not always necessary. Lets face it we look at millions of things everyday, but how many of them do we actually see? The second reason is a little less conventional. I strongly believe that IF everything happens for a reason then some stories were writen with the purpose of inspiring others to either alter or simply use parts of the original to make something a bit more put together. After all some people have great ideas but aren’t that good at putting them into words. Just want to make it clear that I don’t believe movies and shows are better just making a few points so feel free to add some more of your views, like maybe you don’t agree with me at all.

November 23, 2010 at 9:27 pm

• Robbie

“After all some people have great ideas but aren’t that good at putting them into words”

True, but I think it would be much harder to write a critically acclaimed book than direct a critically acclaimed film.
        And directors have so many people working for them, 100s if not 1,000s depending on how big the film is. An author only has an editor and maybe one or two consultants.

I’m trying to think of examples where I prefer the film over the book but I’m struggling to think of many. Maybe I’m just too stubborn. Maybe American Psycho and Fight Club, but I loved both the book and film in those cases. What do you have, apart from True Blood?

November 24, 2010 at 12:35 am

• Well off the top of my head it is hard to think of many but here it goes… Harry Potter and the order of the Phoenix (not all of them just that one) was a better movie than book, I probably going to get killed for this next one but anyway, I prefered the most recent Sherlock Holmes movie to the books (granted I’ve only read one, but the movie was better), Sex and the city, according to my mam, was a better show than book, I would imagine portrait of the artist as a young man is a better movie than book has half of the time I had no idea were I was in that story of who people were talking to (atleast with a movie you can see that stuff), and the only other one I can think of right now is hitchikers guide to the galaxy, I love the show and movie, I really want to read the book and you told me it wasn’t as good as the movie.
      I do see your point about directors having it easier than writer, but in a way directors have the harder job. The imagination is limitless, were as special effects and all that are not. Directs have to take the impossible and blend it with reality, and I can predict that you’re going to say ‘they have a special effects team for that’ but bare in mind even something that looks real will be exposed as fake if the characters and environment don’t act as it is real, and that’s the directors job.

November 24, 2010 at 9:25 pm

• Robbie

I can’t really enjoy humour books all that much. Way easier to laugh at a film than a book so that’s why I preferred the Hitchiker’s film version.

Though I’ll always love the line:
        “In the beginning the Universe was creatd. This angered a lot of people and is generally considered to be a bad move.”

November 25, 2010 at 12:25 am

• Ha I want that book so much but the only times I come across it is when I haven’t got money with me, but one day it will be mine mwahahahaha. Oh and don’t write off humour books until you’ve seen the book of bunny sucides.

November 26, 2010 at 9:16 pm

• Robbie

They have it in Coolock libary across from our college. That’s where I got it from.

I’ve seen bunny suicides before, they’re great!

November 27, 2010 at 9:08 pm